Adele

Adele

Sunday, March 23, 2014

# 6. THE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S MONEY


       On September 24, 2007 Sr. Assistant Attorney General Sonny Jones says he appeared in the James Brown case “on a white horse.”  It was quite a high one.

       Sonny came  to save the “I Feel Good” Trust.   From Bob and me.


       At the invitation of David Cannon and Buddy Dallas. 

       There was not even a challenge to James Brown’s Will or Trust at the time.

       Three months later contests were filed. Eight months after that -- on August 10, 2008 -- Attorney General Henry McMaster would claim the right to control the James Brown litigation.  And  give away half of Brown’s “I Feel Good” Foundation for needy students.

        Everyone would start calling Brown’s assets  the “Attorney General’s money.”

        It was the summer of 2007 when things started to move quickly.

       On June 22 an order of Judge Early gave Bob and me access to the books.

       On June 26 I went alone to Barnwell to see records.  David refused.  He said he didn’t care what the Court order said, I couldn’t see the trust records until Bill Hammond approved.  I left.  Buddy called me as I was driving out of the small town.  Asked me to return.

       David apologized.  Said he needed a vacation.  Said he hadn’t had time to grieve

the death of his friend. He asked me to come back after the 4th of July.  I said ok.

       Returning home, I went by Bob’s office in Aiken.  I told him we both needed to
be there for the next visit.  And it should be soon.

       We tried to schedule for July 6.  David was busy. After several attempts, the  visit was set for  July 17th.

       On July 10 Powell Goldstein sent Buddy and David documents to transfer the 2000 Trust out of South Carolina.  To Georgia.  [The documents failed to comply with statutory notice provisions.]

       On July 17 Bob and I went to Barnwell.  It was a near-repeat of the March meeting. David was fuming again.  But his lawyer was making him comply with the Order.  Slowly.

       David wouldn’t let us go to the file room, even though the Order said our access to the records was to be the same as the that of the Trustees.  He kept handing us checkbooks or files. One at a time.  It was tiring.

    By early afternoon we needed a break.


    Then we found the $900,000 check.

Next Post: David Cannon resigns.  The Eighty Boxes. 































 

No comments:

Post a Comment